Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Young Love

I was 18 when my hubby and I started dating.  I was in my freshman year in college and he was a cute, older guy (he was 21 and a senior!).  We were set up on a blind date and never looked back.  I didn't doubt for one second that God sent me the man He intended for me.  The bad news?  We went to different colleges, two and a half hours apart.  Needless to say, we burnt up the telephone lines and highways between the two as much as we could afford.  In between those times, we wrote letters...lots and lots of letters.  He would try and make sure I had something in the mail every couple days.  One of the things he would send me is cassette tapes.  He would record his thoughts about school, family, our relationship, etc.  I would play them while laying in my dorm room, aching to be in the same room with him.  I still have those letters, tucked away in a small trunk.  And when either of us feels like we're drifting apart, we write letters to the other.  It allows us to share our thoughts and feelings while also bringing us back to that time when we were young and newly in love and just couldn't bear to be away from each other.

What memories do you have of your dating days with your spouse?  What can you do to bring you back to those days and those feelings?

2 comments:

  1. Another thing we do is pull out the dominoes and the 70's/80's music and hang out in the basement while the kids are watching a movie. We spent a lot of nights in college playing dominoes with each other and with friends. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I were in our 30s when we met, so we don't have any "young love" memories! We were friends for a few months, then dated for 6 months before becoming engaged, and got married another 6 months later. Many of our dates were actually having dinner together at my condo and then hanging out watching movies and talking. Pretty similar to our life now, except that now we aren't able to go out and socialize as much since we don't have a babysitting budget. It definitely takes effort to make couple time a priority. We try to go out for occasional date nights and spend time together hanging out after our son goes to bed whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete