Wednesday, May 14, 2014

What about music?

I was lucky enough to grow up in a household where music was important.  We all played an instrument and my parents shared their love of music with us around the house, in the car, and even in my grandpa's bar on Sunday afternoons or the KC Hall on Friday nights.  So if you looked at my MP3 player today, you'd find quite an assortment of tunes, from Percy Sledge to the Eagles to Gregorian chant to the Urban Cowboy soundtrack to the latest line dances. 

What do you love to listen to?  What gets you motivated to clean around the house?  Or in the mood to exercise?  Or in the mood for some romantic time with your spouse?  Do you and he have a special song?

3 comments:

  1. I grew up in a fairly unmusical house. My father liked to listen to opera, but I couldn't stand it. I've come to appreciate it more, but it's not my favorite genre. I like jazz and classical and rock. I cannot deal with country music or rap. I tend to like music from the 1960s and 1970s the most (my childhood!).

    My husband and I don't really have a special song, but we do love hearing music that was played at our wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the country music and rap, Anne! (Although I don't mind the country songs that cross over onto the pop charts.) I like classic rock, some pop, jazz, classical and some contemporary Christian music (particularly bands such as Third Day).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up we weren't particularly musical (my siblings & I dabbled in piano, drums, trumpet & flute for a bit), but we were exposed to & learned to appreciate different types of music. I inherited a love of classical music from my father & a love of Big Band music from both of my parents...which we've passed on to our children. Like Anne, I am a fan of music from the 60s & 70s...in particular because our music/choir teachers (whom I adored) in elementary school were hippies who had us singing Simon & Garfunkel, the Beatles, the Mamas & the Papas, Pete Seeger, Woodie & Arlo Guthrie, & Peter, Paul & Mary etc. ...music I still enjoy today. :) I also enjoy traditional folk & Appalachian type music, which is often performed locally. As a late 80s h.s. grad., I do on occasion enjoy hearing some old 80s songs on the radio. I recall hearing about a "Retro Night" at a local club where the music & attire were to be 80s-themed & I instantly felt a bit older now that the music & style (if you can call what we wore in the 80s 'style'...) was now officially 'retro'! Our special songs are usually tunes by Tom Waits. We as a family really enjoy live music & have one musical child who plays the steel pan.

    ReplyDelete