Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Happy Tuesday!

Hi, ladies!  I spent Memorial Day in bed with severe allergies.  This has been our worst year in a long time.  Feeling human again this morning, thanks to many drugs and some extra sleep.

If I would've posted yesterday, I would've shared about the veterans I love.  My grandfather spent 26 months as a POW in a German prison camp during WWII.  My dad was stationed at Gitmo during Vietnam.  A dear friend was sent to the first Gulf war.  My brother-in-law was called up during the last Iraq war.  And although Memorial Day is a day to remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice, I can tell you that no soldier comes back from war the same as they left.

My grandfather battled the enemy in nightmares until he died.  He was deathly afraid of flying because of the old, falling apart plane the Germans flew him in from Africa to Germany.  Our friend who served during the Gulf war is but a shell of the young man he used to be.  They were exposed to some different chemicals and vaccinations that had not been used before.  When he returned, he was so sick.  He went round and round with the VA, but the government never officially classified the illness that he and so many others suffered from.  So he has been battling addiction ever since being "let go" by the system.  He is currently living in a group home because he can't take care of himself...and he's 45!

I grew up in an extremely patriotic family and my kids are growing up knowing that so many people have sacrificed so we can enjoy the freedoms we have.  I hope you all had a wonderful Memorial Day!

Tell us about your favorite veteran.

2 comments:

  1. Well, my father was one of The Greatest Generation WWII vets, but like so many of them he never talked much about his military experience. He was in the Pacific. My father-in-law was also in the Pacific, but in the Navy. He would sometimes tell us about traveling in a convoy of ships in seas that were so rough that when one ship was up, the other was down so deep that you couldn't see it.

    One of my brothers joined the ROTC in college and was in the Air Force for 20 years. No combat, but he was a test pilot, which is pretty dangerous.

    So sad about your friend CatholicMom; I hope he is able to get the help he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my uncles was exposed to agent orange while serving in Viet Nam. When I was in junior high, he died from leukemia as a result of his exposure to agent orange. He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery. A close friend of mine from high school saw combat in the Persian Gulf war & suffered from PTSD for a number of years. Thankfully, he has recovered from his physical injuries & is doing better emotionally, as well. The number of vets committing suicide should give us pause.

    CatholicMomInOz: I also hope your friend can find the support he needs.

    ReplyDelete