Saturday, March 8, 2014

Gospel Reflection

This weekend, we see Satan trying to tempt Jesus.  The one line that stands out for me is when Jesus replies, "The Lord, your God, shall you worship and him alone shall you serve."  I certainly don't worship other gods, but I do find myself being drawn to other things in life that take me away from God...TV, computer, phone, etc.  It seems that I need a constant reminder to let those things go and focus on God.  Thankfully, our Lord is merciful and knows me better than I know myself.  What stands out for you?

2 comments:

  1. I am the same way. I get very preoccupied with the worldliness that is sometimes much easier to see than the presence of God. It's hard to be in the world but not of it. Definitely something to work on during Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the first Sunday of the Great Fast, the Eastern Catholic Churches celebrate the Feast of the Triumph of Orthodoxy (small "o" orthodoxy, meaning "true worship"), also called the Sunday of the Triumph of the Holy Images. This historical feast commemorates the restoration of icons (in both liturgical & private prayer), which had been banned for several decades, to their rightful liturgical use. The major emphasis of this Feast is the victory of the true Faith, the Faith which always triumphs. The Feast pays solemn public homage & veneration to the holy icons of Jesus Christ, the Mother of God (Theotokos), & all the Saints. The 1st celebration of this Feast, which condemned the heresy of Iconoclasm, occurred on the 1st Sunday of Lent in 843 A.D.
    Having icons present in our parish & in our home helps me in the continual struggle to keep my eyes, mind & heart focused on Christ.

    ReplyDelete