Saturday, June 28, 2014

Gospel Reflection

This Sunday, we celebrate Sts. Peter and Paul.  We hear Jesus literally begin our Catholic Church.  "And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church."  My parish growing up was St. Peter the Apostle so I grew up knowing just how important Peter was to our history.  We had the upside down cross hanging outside our building to remind us that Peter wouldn't allow his killers to crucify him as Jesus was crucified.  In a weird turn of events, I find myself teaching and being the DRE at St. Peter the Apostle parish in anther state and town.  Apparently, Peter is meant to be in my life.  ;)

What stands out for you this weekend?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's awesome that two St. Peter's churches ended up being so integral to your life! I went to the vigil Mass last night, and there was a different gospel. It was the one about Jesus asking Peter three times whether he loved him. I love the way that counters the three times Peter betrayed him, and gives him a second chance to confess Christ and die for him, something he was terrified and tried to avoid the night he betrayed him.

    ReplyDelete